Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Introduction

I am an American-born Jew who was raised in a home that was both Reform Jewish and Zionist. I lived most of my life in communities with small Jewish populations. My experiences have given me an unusual view of American Jewish life and the relationships between many Jews and non-Jews. They have given me political beliefs that many find abhorrent. They have also given me strong sympathy for Jewish children growing up without a strong cohort of Jewish peers. 

Now, you may be wondering why this picture does not show Jewish books--it shows a bunch of paperbacks. I am decidedly a down-to-earth person with broad interests, and I love sitting down with a light book. Unfortunately, I haven't found many light, relaxing books with Jewish characters or themes. (I don't find adventure, spy or mystery stories light and relaxing.) If you're writing and self-publishing them, let me know!

Being a minority without a minority group is very difficult. One has no frame of reference for one’s sometimes troubling experience unless it is discussed in the family, and in many families, my childhood home among them, difficult topics are avoided. 

Antisemitism is one such topic. While the Holocaust might be discussed, personal experiences that might be attributed to antisemitism are often ignored or even denied. In communities with few Jews, thoughtlessness and ignorance also cause Jewish children problems. A Christian child might taunt a Jewish child with being damned for ever. An exam might be scheduled for Yom Kippur, and the teacher and school administrator may be unsympathetic to the Jewish student. Or the only social program for teens might be at a church. Or the Brownie troop may focus activities on Christmas and Easter with no patience for the child who celebrates something else.

As a writer, I incorporate some of these themes, or the emotions behind them, in my stories, and I attempt to write things that portray the strengths and beauties of Judaism accurately but in a fashion that will be accessible to both Jewish and non-Jewish children. As these stories are published I will post announcements here.

In this blog , too, I will try to provide a voice for this other Jewish American experience. I hope and trust that what I write will validate thoughts and ideas of Jews who may find that they are at odds with many mainstream Jewish ideas, and will broaden the understanding of what it means to be Jewish in America. 

I will also use this blog to discuss political issues that tend to be seen only through a largely coastal, urban political eye. Although liberal Jews are found in small towns, especially near universities, many “townies” like myself are conservative. 

Guest posts by people whose philosophies and interests coincide or complement mine may also be published; contact me if you have something you thing might be appropriate.

A caveat about my writing: until recently, it was understood that a sentence such as “Small-town Jewish children feel…” was a generalization, speaking of a majority experience. If an experience was universal it was always prefaced with “all.”  Modern usage is the opposite. What used to be a generalization must now be prefaced with “some” or a similar word; if not, “all” is assumed. If I forget, please forgive me and know that, old and old-fashioned as I am, I never mean “all” unless I specifically use the word “all.” 

One last caveat. Financial guru Dave Ramsey is fond of quoting Pastor L. H. Hardwick as saying, “A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an opinion.” I am writing about my life experience and the ideas generated by that experience. Within my experience it is the truth. I readily accept that other people’s experience may have been very different. I look forward to my readers’ comments. However, any comments that cross the line away from polite discourse will be deleted without reply.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

A New Year...After A Long Hiatus

 It's January 2022--last post was December 2020. That says everything there was to say about 2021: not much.  In 2021 I sold a couple of...